Nov 30, 2017

November again

I will count my years in Novembers.
It is not because of my name day, neither because of the falling leaves as the end of an era.
There is a mystical quality in this month for me, as if, when my parents concieved me in Kalavrita, November 1985, a circle started and always gets updated every November.
And this year's update has been pretty amazing, I must say.

 This November started in beautiful autumny Austria with long strolls in cities, parks and museums. A dream-like atmosphere and intense bonding moments.
I couldn't imagine such greatness and fullfillment and yet it came to me.

A couple of break days in London and busy preparations for conference followed.
A conference participation that I hadn't anticipated and was least ready to go, as I was expecting to be at a fellowship interview.
But all went well, as long as I lowered my expectations of what I would present.
At the same time, given the lost chance of the fellowship, I was offered a position I couldn't turn down.
Senior post doc; I suppose it's just a title to make me feel better, it could show a bit in the income, but no tremendous changes from where I am now in this respect.
The changes, which I consider an upgrade, are the toys I would be allowed to play with, so many methods available in the MPI! And, of course, the PI, an established professor in the field.
I am as happy as I could be landing my foot in JFK and reading the email with the offer.
I go to the conference with an air of success and determination about the quality of my work.
RE-CO-GNI-TION. Α-ΝΑ-ΓΝΩ-ΡΙ-ΣΗ. This is what I told my family and friends.

At the same time, I had an invitation for a lecture in my old department in Athens, where I did my undergrads in Linguistics. It is amazing how things turn out. I am so happy to be coming back after a couple of years of hard work abroad. Even if it's just for a short contribution.

The new tomorrow, I am looking forward to.


But first! I'm gonna have a wee (thank you Amanda, for this association). No, I meant I need to wrap up the work at Imperial. Analysis and writing up. I'll give my best and let go after.

No comments:

Post a Comment

that's me Vanilla

My photo
Λατρεύω τον Claude Monet, τα κυριακάτικα απογεύματα και το μπλε του ουρανού τις ενδιάμεσες ώρες, τους φίλους μου, τη φύση, τη ζωή.